Wednesday, March 5, 2014

READ--LOOK--WRITE! 08

READ

"I am very old indeed.  It is so silly of people- I don't mean you, for you are such a tiny, and couldn't know better- but it is so silly of people to fancy that old age means crookedness and witheredness and feebleness and sticks and spectacles and rheumatism and forgetfulness!  It is so silly!  Old age has nothing whatever to do with all that.  The right old age means strength and beauty and mirth and courage and clear eyes and strong painless limbs.  I am older that you are able to think and-'

'And look at you Grandmother!' cried Irene, jumping up and flinging her arms about her neck.  'I won't be so silly again.  I promise you.  At least- I am rather afraid to promise- but if I am, I promise to be sorry for it- I do.  I wish I were as old as you, Grandmother.  I don't think you are ever afraid of anything."

--The Princess and the Goblin, by George MacDonald




LOOK
I like to think about movement in broader terms than dance, and I like dance that captures some element of movement that evokes emotions about daily life.  I like dance that isn't necessarily about the esthetic of a body, but how somebody moves, and expresses them self.  Here are a few pictures on my Milkstone Pinterest board that I thought were rather interesting.  check them out!






WRITE!


I want to go to bed like a fallow summer,
after I begin to swell.
When my dance falls out of the sun.

I think of a long, thin strand of light
passing in front of the clouds.

Imaging you, in tow on the horizon
makes my heart pitter-patter
with the feeling of lost blood-
An eddying mixture
of empathy and pain.

In China, old men wait for the return of the swallows
to plant their rice.
I feel like that.

I have a little swallow
that always returns to a nest in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment